Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I'm worried about my 10 year old son. Is it normal foreskin

Customer Question

I'm worried about my 10 year old son. Is it normal for his foreskin to be longer than his penis? I tell him to try to pull it back and clean it but he claims it hurts. Should I be concern?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is 5 ft tall and weights about 110 lbs. He'll be turning 10 in 4 weeks. Today he just took a bath and i told him to wash himself "down" there but he says that if he tries to pull back the foreskin it starts hurting. My husband tried and he noticed the opening is very small..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pediatricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Does it look irritated?

Does he seem to have any problems urinating?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding. No it is not irritated and red and he can urinate fine. It just appears he has a lot extra foreskin and some white stuff comes out of it. I tell him him to pull back a little to clean it off and he complains it hurts

No. This is not normal.

As a surgeon, as well as a father of five, I would take your son to see a pediatric urologist or, if there is not one in your area, a regular urologist.

It sounds like he may need foreskin revision or possibly circumcision.

Do not put this off since he is not able to clean the glans of his penis well due to this issue which causes the normal smegma to build up. This can lead to all sorts of problems such as infection, irritation etc. Also he may have problems with erections and normal sexual activity in the future if this is left untreated.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS