Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

I have a 6 month old that was born at 33 weeks. He

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old that was born at 33 weeks. He experienced 2 night of the croup 2.5 weeks ago and was treated the following morning at the pediatrician with a 3 day steroid and the barking cough was limited to the one night. He did go on to have a regular mucuosy cough for about a week after but resolved in the last few days.
All of a sudden at 1 a.m today we heard the bark again. He had been fine all day and it sort of returned out of nowhere. I will call the doctor in the morning but am very worried something worse may be going on.
Is it at all common for croup to return 2.5 weeks later or should we be concerned about more serious conditions?
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wanted to add he was incubated for 24 hours at birth due to being "sleepy" from being under general anesthesia from my complicated delivery for 2.5 hours before his birth.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Intubated is what I meant rather than incubated. He then was on cpap for 2 days and room air after that and has not had any breathing difficulty until the initial croup episode 2 weeks ago.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 10 months ago.

If there is a mild barking cough, and no distress, and the baby is feeding well, then I would believe that you can wait till the morning and show to your pediatrician,

While it is not common for croup to return so soon, it is certainly possible, especially given the history of intubation...

I do not think that we need to worry about any other serious causes at the present point of time,

Warm regards

Dr Gupta, MD, Member AAP

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance, hope he is feeling better :)

Warm regards