Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

Name: CM, my 8 yr old girl showed me a few days ago that one

Customer Question

Customer: Name: CM, my 8 yr old girl showed me a few days ago that one of her nipples was sticking out and was a bit pinker than the other one. I prodded both nipples and the one sticking out and pinker felt like it had a bit more solid something under it. Now a few days after that, the nipple is a darker pink, a bit larger and the lump is a bit bigger. She says it didn't hurt when I prodded it. Could this be a cyst? Cancer doesn't grow this fast, right? Should I wait a few days and then see what happens? Advice appreciated, thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My 8 yr old girl showed me a few days ago that one of her nipples was sticking out and was a bit pinker than the other one. I prodded both nipples and the one sticking out and pinker felt like it had a bit more solid something under it. Now a few days after that, the nipple is a darker pink, a bit larger and the lump is a bit bigger. She says it didn't hurt when I prodded it. Could this be a cyst? Cancer doesn't grow this fast, right? Should I wait a few days and then see what happens? Neither she nor her twin have showed any signs of pre-mature puberty. It's just the one nipple on one girl. Advice appreciated, thank you.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pediatrics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: waiting is ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
Lump under the nipple can be due to cyst, folliculitis, premature enlargement of breast.
But as it is not warm or tender, it may not be due to an infection or injury.
Sometimes premature breast enlargement can occur in small children.
This can involve one or both breasts.
This does not suggest onset of puberty.
However, I would suggest to get her examined by her pediatrician.
It does not need active treatment, only observation.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I be observing? What signs/symptoms should I be looking for that would indicate a problem? We're about to be hit by a massive snowstorm, I don't know if I can get her an appointment until after the storm, especially if it isn't an emergency.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

It is not an emergency at this point.
If it becomes painful, warm & continues to enlarge, it would need an examination soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it isn't likely to be cancer since it has enlarged so quickly?
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

I do not think it is cancer.

Cancer usually grows more slowly.

You need not to worry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night both nipples had become sticking out a little and with a round lump under it. Then this morning both her nipples were back to normal - flat with no lumps!. Is this the beginning of breast buds?
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

It is likely to be beginning of breast bud.

Cyst, or growth or cancer would not affect both sides simultaneously.