Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My son is 5 years old and has some symptoms that are

Customer Question

My son is 5 years old and has some symptoms that are worrying me. He has had quite a few bruises lately (since Christmas I've noticed them) Mostly on his shins, knees, elbows, and the bony part of his lower arms. He plays very rough with his older brother, wrestling. He also plays gym games after school at the YMCA and has fallen a few times on the hard floor. These bruises seem small, and clear up within a few days. He has seemed more tired lately (he is an early riser). He is just draggy and whiny, but doesn't actually sleep much during the day. His lymph nodes don't seem swollen, and his appetite seems normal. His temperature has been around 97.8 f. What started my worrying, was that early this fall he spent 4 days with a fever of 103-104 with no other symptoms. His dr. didn't seem worried, and no further action was taken. The only other time he got a fever was at the beginning of a bad case of Hand, Foot, and Mouth over Christmas. I am constantly worrying about this, and it's really making me miserable. He is a picky eater. I have a very hard time getting him to eat any meat, fruit or vegetables.So he doesn't have a very balanced diet. He does take a multi-vitamin, but it's the gummy form which doesn't not include iron. Could a vitamin deficiency be to blame or should I be worried about leukemia?.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 10 months ago.

Hello, No need to worry about any serious diagnosis. Please try to push healthy dishes and start iron supplement 2-3 days a week also. If fever lasts more than 3-4 days you need to get him investigated. Please also watch his weight and height curves.

Good luck to him.