Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 10 week old has had a lot of bother with wind and has

Customer Question

Customer: hi my 10 week old has had a lot of bother with wind and has been crying in pain most nites.after feeds is very unsettled and kicks his legs out and draws them up to his chest.screems when trying to break his wind and gets to the point you need to walk about with him over your shoulder to get it.also goes bright red in face and screems uncontrollably. Arching his back.is not as bad at nite feeds but is worse in the evnings.tryed hi on infacol for a week and no change.and now is on colife.but was having really runny poo's and were greeny and pouring out his nappy.halfed the does to two drops and all the trouble started again with his pain and straining after feeds.we went to the chemist today and got more infacol and was wondering if giving him that with the two drops of colife would help together. After a feed he straightens rite up and want lie flat and also tenses up pulling his legs up and going red faced as if in sever pain.hes been on colife for 8 weeks and was working. at first but was having really bad runny poos and when I phoned the colife help line was advised to half the dose to two drops and things are getting worse again
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he is on sma gold cap infant milk and getting bottled fed.was a section delivery when born and is a boy.was 6'11lb when born.seems too be a bit more settled if allows me to give him belly massage and leg exercises but is so tense cant always do it.when hes having a lot of trouble and am trying to comfort him he straitens his legs rite out and arches his back.want let me bend him to break his wind on my knee at all.kickes of my leg and flings himself backwards.thank you
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pediatrics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Did you take him to his doctor? What is the reason you don't breastfeed him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeh the hv said it was all sighns of colic and when was at the doctors for his 6 week check he basically said it was calic and said the joys.i jave a 7 year old and dident breast feed her eather.and wanted to stick to what i was used too.thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also told the doctor about him having really bad watery poor that were greeny yellow and think it was the colife that was causing it.he said in the first tjree months the babies bellie is still forming and will be loke this till its fully formed and can digest the milk better.his poo's will change a lot in the first few month.was thinking of taking him of the colife and trying too pit him on confort milk.but am unsure if its the milk thats causing him so mitch disconfort.and dont want too kerp cjanging him from one thing too another.as i am trying him with infacol again as well as two drops of colief.too see if that will make him any better.he has been pooping every second day.but sinse droping the dose of colife he went three days this week without a passing and was still verry runny and a dark greeny coulour.thank you.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should try over-the-counter gas-relief medications such as simethicone (St. Joseph Baby Infants' Gas Relief, Infants' Mylicon Gas Relief, others), try probiotics, hold your baby as upright as possible during feedings & pause often during feedings to burp your baby, give smaller, more-frequent feedings, change to a type of formula called hydrolysate infant formula (Similac Expert Care Alimentum, Nutramigen, Pregestimil), try a different type of bottle or nipple, offer a pacifier.