Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My 18 month old son has struggled with horrible gas pains

Customer Question

My 18 month old son has struggled with horrible gas pains and constipation since about 3 months old. This would keep him up crying/screaming all night, every night (with similar bouts through out the day). Long story short, a dairy sensitivity was suspected. He has not had dairy since he was 12 months old, except for accidental ingestion. Within the last two months he has eaten dairy products on accident twice and had more extreme reactions, so now his doctor is wondering if he actually has a dairy allergy. They tried to take blood at his last appointment, but we're unsuccessful. We are scheduled to go back again in 3 months.Within in last few weeks he has progressively started getting horrible gas pains through out the night again. He'll cry/scream non-stop, only pausing to pass gas. This happens multiple times a night. His tummy seems very full and tight at this time. He has definitely not ingested dairy since this has started up again. His bowel movements don't seem horribly different. A bit firmer at times, but no constipation. He has had one day of loose stools, that also included sulfur burps. We have noticed a teeny-tiny amount of bleeding around his anus on occasion.On Friday we noticed he had an odd, extra-white circle on the white of his eye. It was slightly raised. The area around it was very red with broken blood vessels. Yesterday it was still there, but with less red surrounding. Today most redness is gone. It's hard to tell if the spot remains t.We also noticed that a rash he had well over a week ago has flared up again. It is located under his left armpit and fans out further down his trunk and toward his chest.Other odd occuance as of late- some of his toenails and fingernails have white spots on them. It is not the same as a bright white spot caused by banging a finger. It is paler in color. A few of these spots have started to crack the nail. He also fell on his weight curve in the last three months- from the 75% to 50%. He is a huge eater and demands food often. Height wise, he has stayed on his original curve.His energy doesn't seem too off. Although, he is much more clingy and wanting to cuddle. If I put him down when he feels this way, he gets extremely upset. We assume this is just another part of toddlerhood, but thought I'd mention it!My question is- should I be taking him in sooner than his scheduled three months? Should he have his eye checked, even if it seems to be getting better? Could all these things be connected or more likely to just be weird occurances of childhood?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None other than the stomach stuff mentioned.

This is a fungal infection of the toenail. Also his skin looks like a fungal infection

As for the belly it sounds more like acid reflux.

He should be tried on zantac.

Call the pediatrician to ask

Please let me know if you need more help on this question.

If you are satisfied, then please click a positive rating.

If you have more questions, just reply :)