Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I am the father of a beautiful son 23 months old. A simple

Customer Question

I am the father of a beautiful son 23 months old. A simple cliff note background is his mother and I are not together and never wed. She is also a very vindictive self centered human that when asked this question yesterday sent the Sheriff to my home last eve making accusations of abuse on me. She seems to mirror the reality of everything on to me which is very concerning.
I have my son every other weekend by a court order which turns out to be every weekend by the mothers choice. I have gotten him from her with a varying extent of diaper rash each instance for months now. Despite my efforts of changing him overly frequent and bathing him several times per day when it really gets uncomfortable for my son she has hatched a plan of neglect and abuse. As this situation with her has worsened I received him last Thursday night and the rash was mild to non existant. I gave him the typical juice, milk and water. He has also not been eating right in my opinion to which he quit eating many things he used to love it seems. Regardless his rash started getting worse the whole while treating with Desitin and bathing. I have been feeling like there is something she is giving him to eat that must be very spicy or something almost setting me up for failure.
Yesterday after he ate like a bird I asked his mother what exactly has he eaten in the previous 24 hours as she says he eats wonderfully. The response was typical and much like what he eats with me in cereals, yogurt, fruit...etc. The item that caught my ear was Pedialyte, "a steady stream of". It struck me that she has given him pedialyte as his main source of drink for a year now. I would also think in doing so my giving him fruit juice and other items could be the problem. I DO NOT administer pedialyte and never had reason. However, once removed from his diet and I give him normal items it seem his chemistry is off. That is my question. What affect would pedialyte everyday have on the development of his digestive and gastronomous system??
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Sorry about this situation with nutrition of your child. Yes excessive electrolyte can upset stomach causing acid excess. Please get his urine electrolytes tested for some light on internal chemistry. You need help of pediatrician for in person assessment and gauge need for blood tests. Please keep his growth chart up-to-date for weight and height.