Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I gave 5 ml of delsym to a 4 year old only once to suppress

Customer Question

Customer: I gave 5 ml of delsym to a 4 year old only once to suppress cough.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: heavy cough - no issue. was it safe? Cough stopped
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Pediatrics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Sorry about this cough. No harm if baby is behaving OK. However best not to suppress cough, to prevent more serious complication like pneumonia. Please just give sips of warm sugary water with dash of salt repeatedly to clear throat and invert his position with head low, between your two extended legs with tummy down. Thump over upper back few times, several times on empty stomach to remove secretions by gravity, out of the airways. Once a virus cough starts, generally takes few days to a couple of weeks to get over it. No need of adding antibiotics if there is no fever etc.

Please rate this response positively if no further queries. Thanks.