Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My baby was born premature with 34 weeks, he was o neonatal

Customer Question

Hello my baby was born premature with 34 weeks, he was o neonatal unit for 15 days, he was discharged in one day and then on the next day we saw the big bump and pus on his wrist where they took the cannula in 6 days before he was discharged , so he went to the hospital and he went to surgery andthey collect the wound sample, it accused S. Aureus skin he is on antibiotic, my question is how long this kind of infection takes time to appear? in few hours or days?
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
question is what you saw on the pictures that I send to you first is can a cannula infection S.Aeurus show sympthoms days after they have beeing taken off?what I read is tha S.Aeurus can show sympthoms for hours or days, I want to know if is true, and the second one is the type of the wound in the picture by your experience was made by a cannula infection ? many doctors in the hospital told us that for sure but we want to make sure. thank you
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Yes this does look to be cannula related. The germ may have multiplied over these days to form full lesion after some days. There is yellow area at puncture site which is in relation and continuous with swelling higher up. 2-3 weeks course of antibiotic will be required and some pus drainage procedure also may be necessary for sure recovery.