khagihara
khagihara, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields
20084961

My 4 year old son has failed s last 3 hearing tests so we

Customer Question

My 4 year old son has failed his last 3 hearing tests so we were referred to an ENT/audiologist for more specific testing. At the audiologist, when test through muffs over the ears he did very poorly, when tested on the auditory nerve he scored 98% or better. The ENT says he has fluid behind the ears and has had likely for the last year or so (since he began failing his hearing tests at the pediatrician). He recommends putting tubes in. I've heard horror stories of tubes, getting infected, damage from water (we boat and swim a LOT), falling out of place and needing to be corrected, and being outgrown needing multiple surgeries for more tubes. My son does ask "what" often so I know the hearing is a bit of an issue but his speech is developing fine. What is your opinion on tubes?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

If it is left without the treatment, he could develop permanent hearing loss and infection of the mastoid (the bony protrusion behind the ear) which can result in damage to the bone and the formation of pus-filled cysts. Most of these complications with a ear tube are uncommon. Most ear tubes fall out on their own after 6 to 18 months. It is normal. You don't need to worry about it very much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.