Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I have a question regarding my Daughters who is 4 months

Customer Question

I have a question regarding my Daughters who is 4 months old. She has been diagnosed with Arachnoid cyst which is growing in size. Doctors has recommended surgery to remove it. My Daughter is not not showing any symptoms for now.
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I her second month scan, the cyst size was 47MM and in her 4 month scan the size went up to 51MM. Doctors suggested to remove the cyst as it might affect her brain or cranial nerves. Can you guys tell me more about this? What might happen to my daughter after surgery? Will she be ok? Any risks associated with surgery?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Exactly where is the arachnoid cyst located in the brain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Surgery is indicated if there are symptoms of increased intracranial pressure, seizures, focal neurologic deficits, or cognitive impairment. If your daughter doesn't have any symptoms. she doesn't need to have a surgery now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its right sided temporal cyst located in posterior fossa.
Since the size is increasing, doesn't it damage the brain tissues? Will keeping it there for long time and wait till the symptoms happens, will it not be late?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Since it is a temporal cyst located in posterior fossa, she should have the surgery. Her neurosurgeon makes a small cut near the location of the arachnoid cyst. Then the neurosurgeon puts a small, flexible tube called an endoscope through the incision. The endoscope has a tiny light and a camera that allows the neurosurgeon to see the arachnoid cyst. The neurosurgeon also can use the endoscope to make a hole in the cyst and open it up. Once the arachnoid cyst has been opened, the fluid inside drains into other areas of the brain that contain cerebrospinal fluid. Her body reabsorbs the fluid from the cyst. It is safe. But there is a possibility that infection and/or hemorrhage occurs because it is a surgery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answer sir.
Does draining the liquid in the brain from the cyst cause any problem to brain tissues which is attached to the cyst? draining the liquid happens quick, and brain tissues tries to come back to the unfilled space. During this retraction, does any thing bad happen to brain?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Since the volume is very small, the liquid doesn't cause any problem. You don't need to worry about it. Reassured.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reassurance doc. I have one more question. Any chances of this cyst coming back even after surgery?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

If the membranes of the cyst are removed, it will not come back.