Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

I have twin newborns who are about 3 months. Recently been

Customer Question

I have twin newborns who are about 3 months. Recently been having poop issues, where they don't poop for about 5 days and by day 5 they (especially 1 of them) are quite uncomfortable and when they go, it is firm/almost hard and comes out in a 'log'. I have only heard about trying to give them water to help. Anything else that can be given? Miralax?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

I am sorry for their sufferings.

If adding water does not help, you can try pear, prune or apple juice 1-2 ounce.

Glycerin suppository can be tried.

Sometimes we use laxative like miralax but it should not be started without consulting doctor personally.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish them healthy life.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not sure if it is relevant or related, but one of the twins sounds like he is wheezing sometimes when he is breathing, mostly when he has a pacifier in his mouth. Could that be something to get checked out more closely?

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Since when is he having this symptom?

Does he have cough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he's been doing this for a while. I wanna say soon after he was born. For the most part it does not seem to bother him. It doesn't stop him from eating. But a lot of times he makes the sound even while sleeping. But sometimes after he gets to a deep sleep it goes away.

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

This does not appear to be a serious issue.

However, please mention it to his doctor during next visit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, one last question. The twins are now about 3 months. They had been slowly eating more, less often. So they got to a point a couple weeks ago where 1 is eating about 5-6 ounces every 3-4 hours and the other twin about 3-4 ounces every 3-4 hours. But in the last few days the latter twin has been eating about 2-3 ounces but now every 2-2.5 hours. Is it possible he is going through a growth spurt? Is that when newborns will kinda revert back and eat more often rather than less often? Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible.

There can be change of frequency & amount.

If the total amount of feed is satisfactory along with weight gain, then it is not worrying.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hello, The hard stool does mean he is constipated and please try first some cane-sugar in feeds for him, which may loosen the poo. This may also be given to improve satiety and may not demand feeds often early.

If at time of poo the stool is hard, please lubricate anus and little higher with liquid paraffin taken on a wad of cotton and pushed up.

With twins and their shifting moods, it is ok to give feeds on demand and not stick to any set routine. You may also have to start supplemental cereal feeds say at 4-5 months age, gradually.

Good luck and enjoy this double bundle.

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Glycerin suppository will have the same effect in lubricating te anus & easy expulsion.

There is nothing to worry about change of frequency & amount.