Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

We live in Ireland and our son is seven weeks old and has a

Customer Question

Hi We live in Ireland and our son is seven weeks old and has a groin hernia. We spoke to our pediatrician last week and he needs in operated on within the next 6 weeks. We are due to travel to the US on Monday for 4 weeks and have been trying to find a
good surgeon to carry out the surgery over the last few days without any success. I cannot get hold of our pediatrician today so have a question regarding traveling. The pediatrician said we could travel before surgery, however I would like a second opinion.
By the size of the hernia the pediatrician said the tear was quite large so the risk of it getting trapped is reduced. Our flight to the US is 8 hours. Would the altitude of the aircraft increase the chance of something going wrong? If the gut did get trapped
on the aircraft how soon would we need to get urgent medical attention. Finally, the other consideration we have is having the surgery as soon as we arrive in the US. We have good private health care that offers cover overseas. I'm assuming this is possible?
We'll be visiting Orlando, is there somewhere online I could find a list of pediatric surgeons? If you have any questions at all, please let me know. Kind regards Mark.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

From your description it seems that there should not be any problem during travelling.

However you can make an appointment with local pediatric surgeon before travelling

He can guide you better about the risk after examining him.

The links below can help you to know about the pediatric surgeons in Orlando.

You can contact them.

http://www.pediatricsurgeryorlando.com/contact.html

http://www.healthgrades.com/pediatric-surgery-directory/fl-florida/orlando

This is the link of one doctor.

http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-bryan-weidner-2ltmh#tab=appointment

You can choose any other of the list too.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Wish him healthy life.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Su S.Thank you for your reply, we are now planning to travel on Monday and have the surgery in the USA.The Irish and US health systems are very different so I have a couple of questions. I haven't been able to contact the doctors in the US yet so my question is just about procedures in the US.Generally in the case of a groin hernia in a baby how long would the wait be for surgery?Do we need to see a pediatric doctor to be referred to a surgeon or can we call the surgeons office and directly make an appointment?Sorry for these questions which probably seem very basic, I'm sure our system is different to that in the US.ThanksMark.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Pediatrician can refer to Pediatric surgeon or Surgeon can be contacted directly.

Surgeon can decide about the time of operation after evaluation.