Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Family Practice Physician
Experience:  14 years Family Practice experience including inpatient and outpatient pediatric care.
13781349

When should a 9 year old be able to make her own breakfast

Customer Question

When should a 9 year old be able to make her own breakfast before school My husband says I do everything for her and she won't be able to be independent
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

At age nine I would not expect her to prepare her own breakfast before school. Most children of this age are not well organized in planning tasks in short period of time. Most kids if left to their own at this age will simply miss breakfast and head to school hungry. So I commend you on your efforts.

She is old enough to learn to prepare a bowl of cereal > sure to that >> I would let her learn and do things more on weekends than what you may expect on mornings before school however..

At age ( you might begin to teach her more skills but take care as her height is probably not well suited or safe for a hot stove top..

She has plenty of time to learn more skills and be independent !! No rush here!

I hope that this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD