Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My baby is 4 months old and we have seen a uneven patch

Customer Question

Hello Dr. My baby is 4 months old and we have seen a uneven white patch around her knees and was wondering if this is Vitiligo or a birthmark. If there is a way to send you a picture that will be great.
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm attaching a pic. At birth her body was very fair. We noticed this as her skin became darker around 2 months of age
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach the photos here? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just attached. please see attached pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also at birth she was very fair. We are east Indian so as she grew her skin color on body changed and we noticed this patch. Also she has various different kinds of birth marks all over - pink, brown and bluish. Her pediatrician had earlier said they were all birth marks but I want a dermatologist to confirm this white patch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is also just on her right knee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has always been this size from the time we have observed it which is around 2 months of age
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any answer anyone?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. It seems to be vitiligo. You should take her to her doctor or a dermatologist. Examination with a Wood lamp is useful for highlighting areas of pigment loss on light skinned patients. Given the frequency with which concomitant autoimmune disorders occur with vitiligo, she should have screening for selected diseases (eg, thyroid function, CBC, and fasting blood glucose level). The treatment includes topical and oral corticosteroids, topical calcineurin inhibitors, ultraviolet light (PUVA and narrowband UVB).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vitiligo since birth? Considering she is just 4 months old and she has this since birth? Also if it is will this spread?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you certain its vitiligo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her pediatrician had previously called it a birthmark hence I wanted to know if a dermatologist could attest if or not this is a birthmark. Can you forward my question to a dermatologist on your team or would that be futile since only tests can rule this condition out. Can I do any tests at home?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Vitiligo may appear at any time from birth to senescence. It is not a birthmark. You may shine ultraviolet light onto the skin if you buy it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it not be Nevus depigmentosus as that is what my Pedi was leaning towards?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the differences between the two and what makes you think for sure it is Vitiligo?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

With ultraviolet light, nevus depigmentosus appears off-white, compared to the chalk-white accentuation seen in vitiligo.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should purchase an ultraviolet light to confirm? Also there is a another mark close to her shoulder which is of a beige color. Please note that the patch that you are seeing in the pic I sent you was not always white. It gradually turned white. I probably forgot to mention this. Are you still sure it is Vitiligo?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Nevus depigmentosus is an uncommon birthmark. But it is possible. It is not completely white. I can't tell which it is without UV. A dermatologist will do it to distinguish them if you don't want to do by yourself.