dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  I have ten years of experience to handle patients in different fields of Medicine including Pediatrics.
16766337

Son, 4 years old, has had a large swollen lymph node behind

Customer Question

Son, 4 years old, has had a large swollen lymph node behind his ear... Several smaller follow the lymph chain on both sides of neck. Went to doc yesterday thinking it was just an ear infection causing it... He's had it for over a month and it just keeps getting bigger. No signs of infection, no I'll esses in the past six months. He also keep getting what I suspect are hives all over, each time his body temp elevates since having these swollen nodes, which seems to be all the time. Doc said she felt several more swollen nodes under his jaw, on his thyroid, behind his neck and under his armpit. We did lab work yesterday which all appeared normal except his AbA, which was slightly elevated. We did an ultrasound to see if they were truly lymph nodes or cysts, they are lymph nodes and the doc called yesterday and said the ultrasound showed several more in abnormal size then she notices on exam.. 6 of them are measuring 30-40mm in size and she said anything above 25mm is abnormal. We go this afternoon for biopsies of the nodes. My question- can it still be lymphoma or another form of cancer even if the blood work is normal?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

Hopefully everything turned to be normal .

Only worry is fever which should be evaluated , so best to get Biopsy .

Initially blood test can be normal Lymphoma , and in that situation Biopsy gives definite diagnosis .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .