DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

My 3 year old son went in to the ER stomach pain, over and

Customer Question

Hi there! My 3 year old son went in to the ER for extreme stomach pain, doubled over and screaming episodes, with vomiting. They started with an ultrasound and did not see anything "pressing". They did an x-Ray of his stomach and lungs because he has a
deep deep cough and though that maybe the pain was stemming from the lungs. He has bronchiolititis, but nothing major. They watched him at the hospital for several hours and he had another "episode". Worried about intussusuption they did a CT scan (3 pictures).
Should I be worried about cancer risk? and or what should I do to decrease is risk? Thank you
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

There is no indication this would be cancer.

There is no risk from cancer.

I would wait and if he is still not well take him back in.

Most likely it is viral infection.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not worried that he has cancer, I want to know the risk from the CT scan. I've since read, they are not safe in children and increase the risk of cancer.
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

3 slices from a modern CT is no more than an x ray, not even as much.

Things have improved.

I see no significant risk here.

OK, so that is an initial answer….