DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

I have a 7 month old son who at 3 1/2 weeks old had a

Customer Question

I have a 7 month old son who at 3 1/2 weeks old had a surgery and had to go under. He had a bad reaction to the anesthesia (overdosed by 50%, given 10 mg of propofol and succinylcholine. he weighed 3.4 kilos) and also had a lowered o2 saturation of 70 and his heart rate dropped to 80 with an episode of cyanosis. He was jaundice with a bilirubin level of 16.1 before surgery. I've been told by everyone this "couldn't cause a brain injury" but immediately after surgery he became hypertonic, and his tone is similar to someone with a brain injury. He's had a clean mri and eeg yet was fine up until surgery. The neurologist today said "this isn't typical of a low level oxygen injury" I then asked her if you removed all the information you have from his file and treat just the patient, what would you say might cause these symptoms? She said the event he had would not have caused an injury. Afterwards she mentioned what an oxygen related injury would cause. (Everything she mentioned happens to be exactly what my son is going through) Hypertonic that gets worse when stressed (ex. tired and hungry) Stares up and to the left/right, seizures and has problems sucking/swallowing, can't find midline. All things that my son is having problems with. I understand the science behind this but I believe it's hard for her to diagnose because of the lack of evidence to support a diagnosis, if that makes sense. I guess my question would be is it possible to have a low level oxygen injury and NOT have it show up on any test? P.S. His Apgar score was 9 then 10 and he was full term with no complications during gestation or delivery. His Pedi has already diagnosed him with CP. The only thing I'm certain of is he was ok before surgery and not ok after. Any info would be appreciated.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Yes there can be minimal brain damage and not have it show up.

It often will show up on a repeat scan or EEG.

OR, a spect scan or functional mri