DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

My grandson will turn seven in October. About six weeks ago,

Customer Question

My grandson will turn seven in October. About six weeks ago, he began mispronouncing some words. Specifically, he is saying the "ar' sound as "er." For example, he says "herd" for "hard," "derk" for "dark," and so in. When prompted, he tries to say it correctly, but it comes out somewhere between the correct and incorrect way. Then a few weeks ago, he began substituting the R sound with L in words with consonant blends in the beginning. For example, he says "gleen" for "green," bled" for "bread," and so on. Two days ago, he mispronounced the beginning sound in a couple of words. For example, instead of "real," he said "leal." Another concern is that he seems to have some trouble remembering events that just happened that day or the day before. He appears to be searching his memory, and sometimes he remembers and other times he just says, "oh, I don't know." He has also verbalized that he can remember something that happened a long time ago, but not something that happened a short time ago. Another incident that may be worth noting is that last week while in class, he said that he went into a daze, and when he "woke up," he had missed the directions the teacher gave, and then didn't understand what to do. To be clear, this child has NEVER mispronounced these words/sounds before, nor has he had a problem staying focused in school. He received all Os on his report cards in Kindergarten and pre-school. I'm concerned that this may be symptomatic of a neurological problem. Please give me your opinion and advise us of the next step to take. Thank you.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

It is more likely symptomatic of a hearing problem, or speech problem.

He needs to be seen first by a hearing specialist.

Maybe a speech pathologist.

You are not giving other signs of neurological disease.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I appreciate that you responded; however, I had asked for the opinion of a neurologist. My first inclination was a speech problem, but after speaking with a former colleague, who is a speech pathologist, it didn't seem likely to be a speech problem. She said that in thirty-five years, she hasn't encountered a child of that age who developed pronunciation problems with basic sounds that were not previously problematic for him. Additionally, he hears e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Although we will naturally have him checked by his pediatrician and have speech/hearing evaluations to have these possible causes ruled out, I would really like to have the opinion of a neurologist in the meantime. Can you please refer my question to a neurologist. I would really appreciate it.
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

My board certification requires that we train and test in neurology.

In fact, in all of the sub specialties.

You question was in neurology for quite some time, and not taken by any expert there....

Would you like to continue with this new information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the quick response, but I really would like a response from a practicing neurologist. My husband's cousin had a similar situation with her daughter, and it turned out to be a brain tumor. That is why I want to hear from a neurologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I do appreciate your interest in answering my question.
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

As I said, board certified internists must train and test in neurology, and I do have answers for you

We can go into exactly what needs to be checked if you like.

If not, your question is still in both categories, but I can not guarantee when another expert will jump in.