DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

My son woke up at 4-5am crying of leg pain. I thought it was

Customer Question

My son woke up at 4-5am crying of leg pain. I thought it was leg cramp so I rubbed his leg and he fell asleep crying. Woke him up at 7am he was complaining of leg and wouldn't stand on it or walk. Realized he felt hot took temp at 9:30 it was 101.3(armpit) gave motrin. He fell back asleep. Checked temp again at 1:00, 103.1. Called Dr took him in at 4:00. Dr came to conclusion it was his hip hurting. Sent us to hospital for tests. Xray normal, ultrasound of hip normal. Blood work high white count, slightly anemic and slightly low red count. Fevered throughout night and crying of leg. Woke up next day no fever and slowly used his leg again... sent us home saying his hip must have been inflammation. He has not been sick recently but have noticed him being more tired and needing to rest when playing which he is usually 90 to nothing.... opinion?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I would ask the doctor for a bone scan.

In children of this age, sometimes the hip can become infected.

Another option is to tap the fluid in the joint

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.