Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years in private practice in the U.S.
45319925

My 3 month old has red patches on her scalp.

Customer Question

Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi! Would you be able to attach a picture for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Yes there are 2 and both a couple inches above each ear. Red, dry, rough patches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'm not sure why that picture posted twice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the other

Are these patches symmetrical (same place on each side of her head)? Have you put anything on them? How long have they been there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They do seem to be symmetrical and have been there probably 2 weeks but started faint and seem to be getting worse... I put eczema cream on starting yesterday.

By eczema cream do you mean a steroid cream? That's where I would start although I would recommend an ointment over the creams. A 1% hydrocortisone ointment can be found over the counter and could be applied twice a day. I would do that consistently for about a week and see if it begins to improve. The only odd thing is that they're at the same spot on either side of the head. Is there anything she is placed in or wears that would come into contact with those 2 sites that she could react to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Well it's just a baby eczema cream by aquaphor so it may not have steroid in it- I will check. Yeah it is odd but I can't think of any irritant that would hit only those spots... She has a very small faint one on her arm also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't have a steroid- it's a natural oatmeal type ointment. I'll try the hydrocortisone.

Ok. I think it is most likely numular eczema, so the hydrocortisone twice a day plus the aquaphor over the top twice a day should take care of it. If not, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much- I really appreciate it!

My pleasure to assist! Have a great evening and please do let me know if you haven't seen improvement in the next 5-7 days.