Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician
Experience:  9 years of practice in Pediatrics
20280540

My 6 year old grandson is having sever ankle pain and fever

Customer Question

My 6 year old grandson is having sever ankle pain and fever 103 we just got back from the beach day before yesterday and the pain started yesterday today he gould not walk on it. My daughter took him to a 24 hour walk in clinic. They said it was Lyme disese but did no tests, gave him antiobotics and said to take him to his primary doctor on Monday.
We have never found a tick on him or any sighn of being bit by one, and they check him for them all the time.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I'm sorry that your grandson is ill. Although lyme can cause joint pain/swelling and is a possible cause of his symptoms, usually the pain is not severe and not associated with fever. He was started on antibiotics (hopefully Amoxicillin for 3 weeks) because lyme tests are often very inaccurate and take several weeks to get results sometimes.

That said, the severe ankle pain your grandson is experiencing could be from a sprain sustained at the beach, and the fever could be just a co-incidental viral infection. A less common but more concerning reason for his symptoms could be a "septic" joint for which he would require immediate medical attention.

I would try giving him some ibuprofen and see how he feels an hour later. If the pain is unchanged and he still has fever, you should take him to the nearest emergency room. If, on the other hand, he seems comfortable after taking ibuprofen, you can probably wait until tomorrow to have him seen by his pediatrician.

Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I just wanted to follow up with you. I hope your grandson is now doing well.