Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 7 month old son has a cough with what sounds like a

Customer Question

Hi, my 7 month old son has a cough with what sounds like a whoop. I'm paranoid about whooping cough however he hasn't been sick, it doesn't seem to really bother him and he's had all his vaccinations. He seemed to be doing the cough almost for the fun/to hear the sound of it. He got one with teething and it continued after that. Could it be whooping cough even though he is not sick? Should I get it checked out? He's very happy and playful. Thanks.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hello, No need for any tests as such. Please give him sips of warm sugary water with dash of common salt, to relieve cough and also keep him slanting upside down, on tummy, on your knees to bring out any secretions in upper airways (thumping lightly over upper back). If there is strong history of contact with a case of whooping cough in neighbourhood, there is a chance of this infection even after vaccination, but it would be milder and short duration. Please visit your pediatrician if there is any high fever or persistent vomiting.