Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 6 weeks old baby have blue lips to 4 days now and

Customer Question

Hi there,
My 6 weeks old baby have blue lips for 3 to 4 days now and sometimes it is grey and other times it turns bluish ! I do not want to make things sound worse than they really are but I am truly worried.
Other than that he is meeting all his milestones early and acting very active ,normal and happy! !!!
hope to get a long and detailed answer, thanks in advance.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Sorry about this symptom. You also have to observe nail-bed color and tongue, conjunctiva color for more clarity. Also please place hand over front of his chest to feel any purring thing under palm, and if these signs are there, please consult your pediatrician for in person examination like pulse rate, blood pressure, auscultation for heart murmur etc. (And further tests later).

I do not want to alarm but some cardiac defects may cause blue baby not at birth but at few weeks of age.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not notice any of the symptoms you have mentioned other than the blue lips and for more assurance and clarity I am sending you a few pictures taken yesterday......please do notice the red spot(s) on his face right next to his mouth (to the right). We thought it was a heat rush, but after an extensive search work on the net we are thinking more about ECZEMA...??????Just one more remark, he had a bluish tint on his nails (right at the start of the nails about 2 to 3mm - or the one/3rd of the length of his nails), this lasted for few days and disappeared after that forever. so his nails are now just like ours WHITE. (attached are also few pictures of his nails).thanks a lotNB: The photos are taken in relatively high resolution mode, so you can zoom-in to the smallest details.
As you can see in the pictures sometimes his lips are looking just normal (PIC 5 and 4) .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rectification :Just one more remark, he had a bluish tint on his nails (right at the start of the nails about 2 to 3mm - or the one/3rd of the length of his nails) the day of his BIRTH but this lasted for few days and disappeared after that forever. so his nails are now just like ours WHITE. (attached are also few pictures of his nails).

His photo's are in artificial light so less helpful, one has to observe in natural (normal bright) daylight. Also you can compare to your own nails. Please anyway consult your newborn specialist. At times when hemoglobin level is bit high, such blue tint is visible normally.

Face rash does look like mild eczema, so avoid soap over face totally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to be catchy, but your answer was neither relieving nor alarming.....and I do know that I have to consult a specialist but for the time being I am worried to death, I just want your opinion based on the pictures you have received from me....and what can it be in the worst scenarios, is it "CONGENIAL HEART DEFECT", "CYANOSIS"..... or anything else in that direction...or maybe none of those....... ?????? please help.NB: weight at birth was 11 pounds 46--- if needed...thanks a lot again.

There is no need to be worried as baby has no breathing issue and feeds well, any condition can be tackled if at all (small chance) diagnosis comes to a CHD - cyanotic variety.

(Birth weight was bit high, so did you have gestational diabetes during pregnancy? Any birth weight above 8.8 lb is suspect. That has no bearing though to present issue in question.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is good for now, will have that checked first thing in the morning.About the Eczema, is there anything else I can do (ecxept avoiding the soap on his face)..? any special treatment available...

Mild hydrocortisone ointment may be applied couple of times a day, starting after bath. In between, calamine lotion is OK.

Please post update on his consultation and if no further queries please rate my replies positively.