Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 4 year old son has been potty trained with urine 6-7

Customer Question

My 4 year old son has been potty trained with urine for about 6-7 months. He's completely independent with going to the restroom. After about 1-2 months of being potty trained with stool (minimal accidents), he started going back in his pants. He will go back and forth from going in the toilet to in his pants. He almost will go 90% in the toilet at the babysitters house. He has started to not go for 2 days at a time then go 2-3 times on the 3rd day. Here is what we have done so far: jelly beans and stickers to get started, positive reinforcement, having him sit on toilet 30 minutes after he eats, going home if he has accidents out and about, having him sit in it for 15-30 minutes, and even having him clean up himself. Nothing is working and I feel like we are making it worse. My thoughts are that he is getting attention by going in his pants. I'm so frustrated, he starts school on Sept 1st and I'm not sure what's going to happen. We are hopeful that he will go at school like his babysitter. What can we do? Take a break and use pull-ups?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Sorry about this problem with his habit. If it is attention seeking, there will be other signs like tantrum etc. If he is otherwise well behaved, it may just be immaturity of his sphincter muscle. Please mention if he has liquid stool or frequency more than one, when a stool test in lab is required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has been no issue with loose stools. If you think it is physical and not behavioral then how is it that he goes in the toilet successfully at babysitters?

That does indicate normal mechanism and some defiance attitude at home. Please bear with it trying to reason out with him, and hope that as with babysitter's place, he will have no accident at school.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping for more tools. Should I just keep going in the same direction or take a break and use pull-ups? I don't want to go backwards but nothing seems to be working. We've been at this for months.

There is no need for diapers at home. Please go incremental in reward and punishment scheme, explaining to him about it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks

You are welcome. Good luck.