Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My baby is 2 months old. He was full term vaginal delivery

Customer Question

Hi, my baby is 2 months old. He was full term vaginal delivery and was a big baby of 9 lbs but the delivery was at straight forward enough. He seems very alert (following objects, cooing/ trying to communicate with me, holds his head up) but his arms are concerning me. When lying flat on his playmat he will bat at objects with both arms. He will bring both arms up to his face and chew his hands but when I hold him upright he holds his arms very straight. He can bend them but it seems to take a lot of effort. Could you please advise as I'm worried this isn't normal. The way he holds them straight seems uncomfortable.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hello, If there are normal movements like taking hands to mouth, there seems no problem. At two months you cannot hold baby upright without restricting some shoulder movement. Please rest assured there is nothing wrong especially if neonatologist or pediatrician do not feel concerned.

If you are satisfied, please positively evaluate this response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I am delighted that you think this is normal. It's hard to explain because he does use his arms when he wants to but he often lies with them resting at his sides. Maybe he is just comfortable this way but it seems like he should have them up off the surface more.

It is relative immaturity of shoulder muscles, and more weight of arms to act against. By the time he is old enough to sit up, he would be normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that makes sense as his arms are big and long because he is now almost 15 lbs and only 10 weeks old. Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease.

You are welcome and good luck to him.