DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

I have some concerns about my 13 month old (he was born

Customer Question

I have some concerns about my 13 month old (he was born three weeks early, so counting that 12 months 1 week). He has a twin brother that is doing a lot better, which makes my worries worse. My main concern is that he doesn't seem very attached to us parents.
Examples: - When we go to his room to pick him up from his crib, he usually won't reach out to us. Just now when we walked in, he just stayed on his tummy whining a bit, hardly acknowledging that we were even in the room. - He does smile at us spontaneously,
but it's pretty rare (maybe a few times a day). - He doesn't really "share with us"; it's hard to explain, but for example his brother this morning managed to turn on a light by flicking the switch. When he did that, he looked at us with amazement - "look
at what I've done!". But my other son doesn't seem to do such things. - He doesn't have any words (but does babble). - His toy play is weird; most of the time he just bangs things, bashes them against the floor or throws them away. - He doesn't seem to understand
a lot yet; I can ask things like "where's the light", "where's the ball", and "where's the cat" and he'll look in the right direction. But he won't follow commands. He does have some positive things going also: - He looks at us when he's about to do something
that he knows he's not allowed to - He loves to play peek-a-boo, laughs when we play, and will even try to initiate it (I think) by hiding behind the curtain; popping his face out when we call his name - He loves being chased around the house by me and laughs
out loud - He pretends plays with a phone, though he doesn't usually look at us when doing it - Sometimes I can throw the ball, he will go fetch it, hold it up for me to see, and even bring it back to me. He seems to be doing that less in the last 2 weeks
or so though - He can clap if we initiate, doesn't initiate by himself - He points with his whole hand to things he wants (without looking at us), though seems to be doing it less the last 2 weeks - Very rarely he waves when people leave with the car - He
will imitate weird sounds, like "sniffling", and he will shake his head no if we do it first - Motor milestones seem fine, I think he's about to walk. Doctors over here think everything is fine; at the 12mo appointment a few weeks back, he handed the doctor
a toy, which she thought was advanced for his age (but he rarely does it now). I mainly wonder if I should be pushing for a 2nd opinion, as I know early an diagnosis is very important. Or should I wait, given that things could still change considerably until
15 months.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
A second opinion is fine.
I will tell you however that nothing is definitive in your description of a problem.
I would also have him assessed by a sensory integration occupational therapist, as this could be a processing problem.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you make out of the lack of smiling and reaching out to us when we approach him? I know I shouldn't compare, but I've seen 9 month olds that do this with their parents, and his own brother does it. Could that be sensory also?Also I wonder if it's common to have these regressions; 2 weeks ago he suddenly started doing a lot of things (whole hand pointing, handing us stuff), but in the last 2 weeks he stopped doing that and it's become very rare. How long does such a regression need to last for it to become a concern?
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
No way to say for sure at this point, and certainly not without exam.
However, what you describe can be a sensory processing problem, as I explained above, and a good reason to see a sensory integration specialist as early as possible.
There is no such thing as a defined "regression" in terms of how long it needs to last...that would be speculation, and you should not notice pronounced regressions in the first place.
Same recommendation.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.