DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

My 8 year old is always miserable. Obsessing over getting

Customer Question

My 8 year old is always miserable. Obsessing over getting something- that something can change every fifteen minutes or last days. When he is mad at me in public, he holds on to my hand and arm and painfully squeezes, refusing to let go or give me space. It has been suggested that he has adhd and most recently a counselor suggested ocd because of his obsessive thoughts. I know I am wearing down, I don't know what to do. It is so hard to process a child that I love so much being miserable almost all of the time.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am not sure what your question is....

Has he seen a child psychologist or psychiatrist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get suggestions that don't work. When he gets in that mode there seems to be nothing I can do. I want to know if his symptoms might be indicative of a different diagnosis and what I can do in the moment to stop him from hurting me.
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
What type of practitioner did he see, what degree, and what diagnosis was given?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One psychiatrist tried to put him on Prozac. He started having rage issues and one morning I found him on top of my mini van. Prozac was a bad idea.
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
No medicine should be used without a diagnosis.
And prosac is not a treatment for ADHD.
Who said ADHD? And who said OCD?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diagnosis at the time was intermittent explosive disorder but he no longer has those same attacks. A psychologist diagnosed him with sensory processing disorder and possibly adhd at 3
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
OK
And what has been done about the sensory processing disorder?
or the explosive disorder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Newest counselor has suggested testing for oc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sensory processing- he was seeing an ot at 5 but they mostly worked on fine motor skills despite diagnosis then dismissed him. Counselor dismissed him too- he gets better for a while then plummets.
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
OK
A counselor can not test for that.
I would suggest a child psychologist who is also an educational psychologist, and formal testing.
It is unclear that there is any diagnosis.
Has he been tested for IQ, for learning disability, for memory, etc...in other words, formal psychological testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but not since 3... We had full eval
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then he saw psychiatrist at 6 bc of the explosions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those have stopped thankfully
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
OK
That needs to be done now by a PhD clinical child psychologist who does testing.
That is way over due
3 is not 8.
There are a long list of potential problems here, and he needs medical examination as well, for thyroid studies, iron levels and heavy metal screening, at minimum. The peds doctor should have done this. If not done, do it now.
As to the psychological possibilities
ADHD
Conduct disorder.
OCD
Anxiety disorder
Dysthymic disroder....many possibilities....
However, before even investigating that with psychiatry, i would get the testing.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.