Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My 4y/o has been running a fever ranging from 99-102 .. 48 hers. Our biggest co

Customer Question

My 4y/o has been running a fever ranging from 99-102 for approx.. 48 hers. Our biggest concertn is that he has been exhibiting bizarre behavior. He has been disoriented , not recognizing us (his parents) , very restless sleep and very little sleep. He has been frequently screaming and acting as if he has been having nightmares for two days.
He did see a PA at his peds office today and my wife was told he was fine it was a viral infection.
I want to point out that he and I (father) were on a at and up paddleboard on a lake and he fell in twice and could have swallowed or had contaminated water go in his sinuses. This lake is not real clean and I am regretting that activity. We live in Denver and I've seen some signs around the area for tularemia being a problem and to avoid contact rodents. He had no direct contact with rodents but its a lake and who knows what is in it. Other thoughts that come to my mind are coxsackie virus? I am a physician surgeon and have little knowl
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,Thank you for your question. I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.Was any test taken today?How are his food intake, urine, stool?Are you using any medicine for fever?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No labs/bloodwork or culture done at drs. office today, only examMeds-we have been giving him Tylenol or ibuprofen for feverFood intake has been low/poor, vomited once yesterday after eating some non dairy ice cream , today he did eat one meal a grilled cheese sandwich and kept it down but appetite is poor in generalStools are normal and urine normal, no diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the input.Sorry for delay.I was offline when you replied.His temperature is not very high.In high fever child can be a bit disoriented. As he is disoriented at 102 temperature, I feel you should take him to hospital.In viral fever, meningeal irritation can be possible.He will need further evaluation, blood work and other tests if it is necessary.I hope this information will be helpful.If you have any query, please feel free to ask.If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating. Wish his healthy life.Regards.