Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My son is 3 1/2, and tells me up to 30+ times a day

Customer Question

Hello, My son is 3 1/2, and tells me up to 30+ times a day that he's tired. He does act lethargic at times, and is also pale with dark circles under his eyes when it gets really bad. He also bruises fairly easy. His pediatrician told me I didn't have a good enough reason to take his blood and check his iron. SO I took him to the ER yesterday. They also didn't check his iron per my request, but checked everything else, and very quickly and rudely told me he was normal kid, and I left with no other help/suggestions from them. There are a few abnormalities however. His Anion Gap is high (14.2), his Creatinine is low (0.31), his Hematocrit is low (36), his Mean Cell Hemoglobin is high (34), and his Lymph is high (48). Any suggestions to what's going on?? Does it sound as if he has anemia? I have anemia and that's what I thought he had, but no one will check his iron. He also was born with a malfunctioning right kidney; it would not pass the urine, and I read with the Anion Gap that that may be a cause of a bad kidney. I'm just trying to put the pieces together and figure out why my son is always so tired. Your help is extremely appreciated!!! Thank you!
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also has had diarrhea and a stomach ache for the past 4 days. I don't know if this fact has to do with my previous post, but I just thought I'd share it anyways.Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Hello, we have to treat if his hemoglobin level is low, otherwise hematocrit, lymphocyte etc. are normal. low creatinine means kidneys are normal and anion gap is due to some metabolic reason. Please give him more vegetables salads and low meat bland diet. One functioning kidney is enough for life, so no problem. Multivitamin supplements especially E, B complex and folic acid may be given daily.