DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

My wife and I are about to have a baby boy.

Customer Question

Hello. My wife and I are about to have a baby boy. Unfortunately, our son is overdue, and his late arrival is causing us some concern regarding our plans. About 4 months ago I got a job out of state and my start date is coming up very quickly. My wife
is scheduled to be induced this Wednesday and she will be in the hospital until Friday morning. Barring any complications with the birth, we planned on leaving Friday. Our destination is 9 hours away, but we can split it up into two legs if necessary. My main
concern is the safety of my baby. I just want to know if he will be at risk in any way. I understand that the best case would be to stay another week or two, but we have to be out of our apartment, and my work is scheduled to start. I am just wondering if
we will be placing our child at risk in any way by embarking on a drive of this size only 2-3 days after he is born. Thank you for your help.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
No
I don't think it is a good idea.
The baby should be observed at least for several days, if not longer, before getting out of touch with immediate medical care.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.