Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My daughter is 5.5 months old and I noticed her eyes going

Customer Question

My daughter is 5.5 months old and I noticed her eyes going in a quick back and forth motion for about 2 seconds this morning. I have seen her do this 2 other times in the past month. Is this worrisome?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
Hello. At almost 6 months, her vision should be pretty close to 20/20 and the typical infant "eyes crossing" to focus should be resolved. The eye movements that you are seeing now sound like possible nystagmus. Even though the movements are brief, I think it would be a good idea for her to see a pediatric ophthalmologist. If it will be some time before you can get an appointment, some pediatricians have a Spot Vision device that can detect eye abnormalities in infants. This could be done in the office. Her pediatrician should also do a fundoscopic exam to make sure that her eye red reflexes look normal. I hope this is helpful. Best wishes for your daughter!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked up nystagmus online and I thought that type of eye movement was more regular and not as random as this.... Is that not correct?
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Sorry for the delayed response… I was in the office seeing patients.In general, nystagmus is a more constant eye movement. It is not, however, common for an infant to have any "back and forth" eye motion. What you are seeing could be a sign of an impending eye problem. For this reason, I feel that it is best to have the issue evaluated.