Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

We are great-grandparents who are honored to be able to take

Customer Question

We are great-grandparents who are honored to be able to take care of our great-grandson one day a week. He is now 4 months old and weighs 15+ pounds. He is breastfed evenings and weekends by mom. She pumps her breasts to provide his milk for the caregivers. All she can pump is 4 oz. so that is all she feels he needs per feeding, every three hours during the days we care for him. We feel that when he breast feeds he gets more than 4 oz. as what you pump is not the same as what he gets from the breast. At his weight and age we feel he should have 5 - 6 oz. at each feeding. He is always hungry. After consuming the 4 oz. she puts in the bottle, he keeps frantically sucking for more. She insists that since she can only pump 4 oz. that is all he needs. He is very healthy and his pediatrician says he is a text-book baby and is doing great. But we feel on the day we care for him (and our daughter who also cares for him one day a week) that he is always hungry and needs more than 4 oz. at each feeding. Mom is very set in her ways and feels she is right and wants us to support her decision. What do you think and how should we handle this?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
There is no such fixed amount.
The need varies individually.
Some baby may take 3 & 1/2 oz. per feed, other can take 5-6 oz.
If you feel he is remaining hungry, you need to discuss it with his pediatrician.
You may ask his mother for extra bottle to check whether he takes more.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish his healthy life.
Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not an answer - you just passed the buck. Do not charge me for no answer.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, as you have not accepted the answer, your money is remaining in your account with just answer.
I will not be paid for my service.
If you have any specific query, you may ask.