Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  MBBS. FCPS (R) General Surgery and Traumatology.5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My 8 year old son has a patchy place on his face that is much

Customer Question

My 8 year old son has a patchy place on his face that is much lighter in color and look scaly and dry. Should I seek professional treatment? It does not seem to be going away on it's own
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been ongoing for prob. about 6 months... maybe 8, but has worsened lately. Seems more scaly and covers a larger area. Lotion and oil don't seem to help. Tried an over the counter fungal cream... no help either. Please help. Thanks! Picture attached.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Yes, professional help should be sought. There is a misconception that all white patches are due to a fungal infection.Fungal infections are often very itchy and red around the corners. This type of a patch in boys is mostly due to iron deficiency or deficiency of minerals and vitamins. Supplements can usually alleviate the problem in a matter of weeks. I would suggest that you seek opinion from his paediatrician for this.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's definitely not itchy or red at all.... but he is on a good regimen of vitamins and minerals and fish oil. We use standard process. Could it be something else?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the reply.This could be Pityriasis Alba, which is a mild form of eczema, usually seen in children with dry skin and is self limiting which means it vanishes by itself before the age of 10 years. During that time, the skin needs to be kept moisturized and protected from the sun and other irritants. But the best course of action will be to evaluate for iron deficiency, parasites in the GIT which can cause mineral deficiencies in children no matter how much they eat or what supplements they use. Once, that is ruled out, benign skin conditions can be labelled as a cause.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.