Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

Saturday, my sons 10th bday, he started having

Customer Question

Hi, Saturday, my sons 10th bday, he started having diarrhea... He was also vomiting... He started feeling better Saturday night, but then started feeling bad again on Sunday... On Sunday he had a fever of 101.7 and he still had diarrhea, but the vomiting
stopped... Sunday night his fever broke, but the diarrhea continued... We noticed that Monday morning, around 5 am he had small flecks of blood in his stool... I called his doc and she ordered an occult blood series and a stool culture with the three tubes...
His occult series came back, 1 was negative, the other 2 positive... This all happened at the end of our vacation in Texas, visiting family... I'm extremely worried... He is acting fine, says his stomach feels "ok"... No more fever, but still has diarrhea...
What could this blood mean??? Will the culture tell us how much or what may be causing it???
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
If there is a bacteria, it will grow in culture.
Culture will show the type of bacteria causing the diarrhea.
It would also show to which antibiotic it is sensitive.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish his healthy life.
Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a bacteria cause blood in the stool??? What else should we be looking for??? If it were a bacteria, wouldn't he still be running a fever and look ill???
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Bacteria, parasite can cause blood to come with stool.
Besides infection, there can be a tear or fissure during diarrhea which may bleed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, also the blood is red and seems to be mixed with a bit of mucous... I know that black tarry stools are concerning... But, is this also as concerning??? I'm just afraid that he has bleeding going on that we don't know where it's coming from and it might be something serious that is bleeding??? Thank you...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, he has been eating plain toast, unsweetened applesauce, bananas, and soup... Is there anything else I can add to his diet??? He's still always hungry... And, probiotics are safe and good to take with this diarrhea???
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
You can add rice.
At this stage, probiotics may not be required as he is feeling better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, turns out that he has shigella(?)... We have still been following a bland diet, and I understand the bloody mucousy stool is to be expected, but... How long does this usually last??? How much blood is too much blood??? Are there any things that I should be watching for closely, besides dehydration???
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
It can take a few days to weeks to recover.
You need to watch for any unusual pain, distension of abdomen, general weakness.
If there is only blood without stool matter then there would be be quite a good amount.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is definitely more stool than blood... With this bacteria, where is the bleeding coming from??? Also, his doc mentioned that it is sometimes treated with abx, but usually in people who are dealing with a lot of food for others... Would abx be a good idea???
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Antibiotics would be needed for treating higella.
Bacteria causes inflammation, ulcer in intestines which can bleed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, antibiotics aren't optional then???
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
In mild cases, antibiotic may not be required.