Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 12 year old has had a high fever (103.4) that does go down

Customer Question

My 12 year old has had a high fever (103.4) that does go down to 100 with the help of ibuprofen for the past 5 days with no other systems. We went to the doctor on day 2, doctor found an ear infection. Went back on day 4 with the concern of the fever continuing. Doctor ordered blood test to check for white cell count and to check for mono, but we won't know for 2 more days as to what the results are. I feel as if there is something more I should be doing or asking. Should we go to the ER to get more answers?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It sounds like you and your child's doctor have done all of the appropriate things at this point. Although there is an ear infection, there may also be a viral component to the illness. Viral infections are often associated with fevers up to 105 and can last up to 5 days. The blood work the doctor ordered will help. An elevated white blood cell count would indicate a bacterial infection (consistent with the ear infection) but a suppressed count would indicate a viral infection. Unfortunately, there is no way to "speed up" a test for mono. They are antibody titre tests that are usually sent to an offsite lab. There is a rapid "mono spot" test, but it is often inaccurate in children. At this point, I would continue to give the ibuprofen for comfort, and give the symptoms another day. If your child has a typical viral infection, the fever should be much lower or gone by tomorrow. I would still continue the antibiotics for the ear infection in the meantime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I feel much better knowing that everything that should be done at this point is getting done. I will just be patient and wait for the results. Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
Hello.

I'm just sending a message to follow up on how your 12 year old is feeling. I hope things are much better. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Dr. Leah