Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Can I ask you a question? I want to know if my 6 year old

Customer Question

Can I ask you a question? I want to know if my 6 year old really needs glasses. He has an astigmatism.
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his right eye sphere: +2.00 Cylinder: -2.25 Axis: 180
left eye sphere: +1.50 Cylinder: -1.00 Axis : 170 (from a optometrist)
his right eye sphere: plano Cylinder: +2.25 Axis: 090
his left eye sphere: +1.00 Cylinder: +1.00 Axis: 080 (from a pediatric opthamologist)
Why are the prescriptions different? My son being 6, will the astigmatism get better on its own? Can it be corrected through glasses?
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
The prescriptions are different because, unlike what most people are told, the refraction of the eye and other measurements, particularly at this age, vary, and the vision is a developmental process.
I would not commit this six year old to traditional refractions which will simply lock him into one measurement or the other.
Rather, take him to a behavioral optometrist.
They use lenses not only to correct, but to train the eye, along with vision training.
Here are some resources.
www.oepf.org
www.covd.org
www.nora.cc
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
I do not agree with the above treatment recommendation nor that the glasses prescription difference....
Those are almost exactly the SAME eyeglass prescription.
Optometrist use negative cylinder (notice the minus sign in the second number) and ophthalmologists use positive cylinder.
Two ways of writing down the same eyeglasses prescription. NO DIFFERENCE.
So. Back to your original question:
That probably is enough astigmatism to warrant glasses.
It will probably not get better on its own. Glasses will not "correct" his eyeball and get rid of the astigmatism but it will allow him to see clearly.
I recommend that you follow the pediatric ophthalmologists recommendations and follow up with her in the future to obtain the best care.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS