Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years in private practice in the U.S.
45319925

Can a dr prescribe a drug condition the manufacturer

Customer Question

Can a dr prescribe a drug for a condition the manufacturer of the drug says it should not be pres ibe for, specifically mentioning in the lterature the very condition the drug should not be used for.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I'd be happy to try to answer your question. In general, doctors often use medications for what are called "off label" uses (uses that aren't necessarily approved by the FDA). Only those conditions that have been approved by the FDA for the drug to treat can be listed in the drug manufacturing literature. It is less common for a dr. to prescribe a medication if it states specifically in the literature that the medication should not be used for that condition.
I might be able to give more information if you can provide the drug name and the condition in this particular instance.
If I've answered your question to your satisfaction I thank you for the opportunity to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ritalin for terrets and anxiety. Family history of psychosis heart disease and circulation issues. All in the literature as reasons not to prescribe. Child has no behavior issues or concentration issues but has undiagnosed dyslexia.
Without a diagnosis of ADHD Ritalin would be unusual. It certainly is known to heighten anxiety. There is recent data to suggest that it doesn't worsen symptoms of Tourette's syndrome but there have been concerns about that in the past.
Based on the information you have provided use of Ritalin would not be indicated; however, there may be other information contained in the actual medical record from the physician that would justify the choice.