DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

My daughter has a 5 day old baby. She wasn't feeding her more

Customer Question

My daughter has a 5 day old baby. She wasn't feeding her more than a 1 oz bottle about 6 times a day. The hospital didn't inform them to increase her formula, so she was still getting 6-1 oz bottle hours a day for about 2 1/2 days. So her husband and her weren't feeding the baby 8-12 times a day. On day 4 the baby had a check up and was told the baby was now 7 1/2 pounds So basically she was being starved, at birth she weighted 8 lbs 3 oz. The baby lost 10% of her weight. First time parents.
My question, due to the lack of nourishment at this stage. Is the baby lack formula going to affect her at all? in development, etc. Is this a problem?
Evie
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
As long as the pediatric exam is OK, the baby is going to catch up fine.
This is true in almost all cases.
They should feed the baby when the baby is hungry, by the way.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.