Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years in private practice in the U.S.
45319925

My 9yo daughter has a knot under her armpit. It has been there

Customer Question

My 9yo daughter has a knot under her armpit. It has been there for maybe 1 1/2 yrs and same size. It is hard and not moveable. Do you know what that may be? Also her nipple (only 1) is swollen and she says it is sore. It also looks red
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I'd be happy to try to answer your question. First off, if the knot under her armpit has been there for that long and has been unchanged it's likely nothing worrisome. Sometimes there can be cysts in that region. It's difficult to say exactly what it is without being able to examine her, but it's likely not worrisome.
With respect to the swollen and sore nipple, it's very common for girls around the age of 9yrs to develop a breast bud on one side. These can be very firm and sore and create a lot of worry for the child (especially with all of the common talk of breast cancer) but it is completely normal and harmless. It's common to have 1 side be enlarged and then that side may return to normal and the other side may start. It does not mean that she's going to start her period any time soon, it's just a part of normal female development. It may be red if she's been touching it a lot recently because it's tender. I would have it checked by her physician if the redness seems to be getting worse and spreading or if there is ever any discharge from her nipple. Otherwise, it's safe to just watch.
Please let me know if there's anything I've left unanswered and I'd be happy to provide as much information as I can.
thanks and have a great day!
I see that you've viewed my answer. Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, feel free to close the visit. Thank you for the opportunity to assist you!