Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My wife and I disagree about whether we should put socks on

Customer Question

My wife and I disagree about whether we should put socks on our 14 month old son. The room he is in averages 24 Celsius and I think adding socks because he kicks his blanket is wrong. My wife says if his feet are covered, then he will remain warm. Any
suggestions on what is best?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. If I am understanding correctly, you are both concerned about whether or not your son is warm enough at night. Toddlers conserve heat in the majority of their bodies by constricting the blood vessels in their feet and hands. When they are not feeling warm enough you may notice the feet/hands feel cold to the touch or may even look a little purple/blue in color. I would suggest that, if your son's feet feel cold despite having a blanket, the socks are a good idea. The fact that your son is "kicking his blanket" at night probably has nothing to do with how warm or cold he feels.
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps. If you have further questions when you return online, feel free to ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does help, and solved a regular argument we have :-)
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.
Glad to help!