Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

Our 2-year-old is getting up in the middle of the night because

Customer Question

Our 2-year-old is getting up in the middle of the night because she is not eating enough at dinner. Her father and I are not together and split the week with her. My approach is to get her to eat more throughout the day and play games at dinner to get her to eat more. When she wakes up, I do not feed her. Her father however will feed her a cup of milk in her high chair if she gets up. I feel this is very wrong because it encourages a poor sleeping routine and is not good for her dental health. Please weigh in as an expert. Thanks. Sascha, victoria b.c. Canada
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Your 2 year old is not getting up at night because she is hungry. And you are correct that she should not be fed at night or put in a high chair.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
You should also not be playing games to try to get her to eat more. This is how children develop unhealthy eating habits and often become overweight.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
It is important to attempt to establish a similar bedtime routine in each home. Same time each night. Most 2 year olds have a bed time snack and go to bed at the same time most nights. When she wakes up, she may need a soothing routine to get her back to sleep. But eating or a high chair should not be involved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you so much. He was saying because he feeds her in a high chair the upright position while drinking milk, allows saliva to wash the milk from her mouth thereby not allowing the milk to sit on her teeth for a prolonged time frame. I think that sounds ridiculous and again, if she needs a drink it should be water and in bed, not out, up, and in the kitchen, waking her up.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
She should not be drinking milk at night at all. It doesnt matter where. A sip or two of water from a sippy cup next to the bed is fine.