Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My daughter is 15 and she just went through a really bad breakup

Customer Question

My daughter is 15 and she just went through a really bad breakup with her boyfriend. She is almost 16 and he turned 15 3 months ago. Anyways he was really nice to her most the time and then he got weird. So she broke up with him. He was getting mean and distant and confused. I want to know how can I get through to my daughter that these boys are a waste of time. She had a boyfriend last year and he did the same thing so now my daughter is broken hearted once again. I feel like they always choose the end of the school year to break up. I'm trying to explain to her that they are a distraction from your studies and you need to just focus on girlfriends and school. Because every time there is a fight or whatever it's total distraction from school. I really need advice on trying to convince her to stay single throughout the high school years. Any advice? I thought she learned her lesson twice. They always hurt you but she doesn't learn!!
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry she is disturbed. You could be sympathetic and supportive, taking help of her close girl-friends and even teacher to convince her not to try for any fresh tie-up for now.
Teens this age really are immature and consider their parents to be somewhat foolish.
You could even try to find out about parents of a boy she ties up with, without appearing meddling in her life, socialize with boy and his mother, and prevent any uncivil behavior by him. She could also be offered an inducement like big present if she excels in studies.