Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

why would a doctor give a 9 month old child a steroid shot?

why would a doctor give a 9 month old child a steroid shot? Is this dangerous? Are there any negative side affects to this?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Are you free to chat now?

Customer:

yes - free to chat

Dr. A. Clark :

Can you tell me what illness your child was seen for?

Customer:

regular 9-month check up; child has severe exema (misspelled) and itches a lot, which causes whinning prior to going to sleep and even during the night;

Dr. A. Clark :

While we use steroids for many conditions for eczema we use topical creams and ointments, not injected or oral steroids as they are too strong.

Dr. A. Clark :

As for side effects from a single shot I don't expect she will have any unless it is repeated several times and then it can cause problems with fluid retention, increased blood pressure, sleeplessness and other issues.

Dr. A. Clark :

Is her a doctor a pediatrician or GP/Family Practitioner?

Customer:

This is what I thought; the physician is a pediatrician in charge of her care since one week old and he did prescribe a topical cream in addition to the steroid shot given to her, along with a flu shot - all in one visit. I, too, felt the steroid was too strong with her being only nine months old. So, are you stating that perhaps the topical should only have been given?

Dr. A. Clark :

Yes. I don't know anyone who would recommend giving injectable steroids for eczema under normal circumstances. Also, even for allergic reactions, asthma, croup, etc. there is NO advantage of injectable over oral steroids anyway.

Customer:

So, the best advice is to be certain she gets a lot of fluids since she has already been given the injection of steroids, but be sure she is not given any additional ones? Sorry to keep going on and on about this, but am really, really concerned since steroids have such a negative note even for adults.

Dr. A. Clark :

Intermittent occasional steroids are not a risk but I question giving an injection of steroids for eczema under any circumstances.

Customer:

Dr. Clark, thank you so much for your candid professional information. I am somewhat relieved since I am going to pass this on to my daughter (the grandmother) and my granddaughter (the 21-year-mother) with me being the great grandmother. I will fight vehemently before he gives her another steroid shot!!!! Have a wonderful evening and it was worth the $38 for the information!!!

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and as a grandparent myself (6) I understand your concern and wanting to find out more so you can protect your grandchild.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and if not I hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to rate my advice when you exit chat. Please feel free to ask for me by name the next time you have a question about your children.

Dr. A. Clark :

Did you have any other questions. Chat will time us out and kick us off if neither of us posts anything for 4 minutes. I'm not going anywhere so please let me know.

Customer:

No, sir, you have answered the questions I had extremely well and I am somewhat at peace so long as he does not recommend giving these to her on a regular basis. I will send this reply, then submit my rating for the "excellent" service I received from you today.

Dr. A. Clark :

Great. Thanks.

Customer:

Is there a way to get a copy of this, or are we not allowed to do this?

Dr. A. Clark :

You may do a screen print I think.

Customer:

I tried, but it only allows me to print the question. Thanks anyway.

Dr. A. Clark :

You are very welcome.

Customer:

I could not print, but am passing information on as I type and then signing off.

Dr. A. Clark :

Thanks

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll exit now and I trust you will rate me when you exit. Thanks.