Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Hi, My son recently developed a croup a couple of days back.

My son recently developed a croup a couple of days back. He was taken into emergency and given some steroid drops as a result as he had developed a full on stridor. He has now developed a rattling cough and is not being able to sleep because of it. Just wanted to check if I could five him some zyrtec for this ?

Thanks.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Yes, zyrtec would be fine but you might also want to give him Mucinex D which will help to loosen up the congestion.

Dr. A. Clark :

Croup is a virus and like any cold may take a few days to resolve. Continue to use a cool mist humidifier on him at night also.

Customer:

Thanks what concerned me is if zyrtec is safe to be administered with croup to a 23 month old ?

Customer:

So is it safe to give it to him ?

Dr. A. Clark :

Yes, zyrtec is quite safe but is an antihistamine so not necessarily going to help his croup as much as a cough medication/expectorant like Mucinex will.

Customer:

alright thanks for the response doctor. This hehelps

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and if not I hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to rate my advice when you exit chat. Please feel free to ask for me by name the next time you have a question about your children.

Customer:

Surely thanks exiting this chat now

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.