Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

I applied the Monistat cream to her this evening because it

I applied the Monistat cream to her this evening because it seemed like the itching came back and was getting worse. It stung at first, but now she said it felt better and also voided urine without complaining it hurt. How much Monistat/ and how often do I apply it? Will it cure a yeast infection if it's just applied externally?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Are you free to chat now?

Dr. A. Clark :

Perhaps you've stepped away from your computer so I'll stand by for your return.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX now.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi.

Dr. A. Clark :

Monistat sometimes works and usually just applied externally. How old is she?

Customer:

She turned 3 last July. The last doctor told me to apply it for yeast, but the package came with a applicator to insert a dose internally and some cream to apply externally. I applied the cream externally once tonight.

Customer:

She was prescribed Sulfa yesterday for a probable UTI, which I think is helping, but I think it caused a yeast infection too.

Dr. A. Clark :

Just external is all she needs. If it doesn't help then I would switch to clotrimazole (Lotrisone AF) as it works a bit better than monist at.

Dr. A. Clark :

Sorry, monistat.

Customer:

Okay. That is just over the counter? I'm hoping I can treat this at home since she is terrified of going to the doctor. But I also want to make sure whatever she has gets cleared up. How often should I apply it? Twice a day?

Dr. A. Clark :

Yes, it is OTC and works well.

Dr. A. Clark :

Twice daily for either medication.

Customer:

Thank you very much. I appreciate it!

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and if not I hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to rate my advice when you exit chat. Please feel free to ask for me by name the next time you have a question about your children.