Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Is a little bit of projectile vomiting something to be concerned

Is a little bit of projectile vomiting something to be concerned about from a 5 day old infant?

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. Are you free to chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A. Clark :

Good.

Customer:

did you read my question or do I need to repeat it?

Dr. A. Clark :

Projectile vomiting is not common in babies unless they are born with an obstruction of their esophagus or farther along their gastrointestinal tract.

Dr. A. Clark :

Got it!

Customer:

Im assuming this should be brought to the attention of her pediatric dr

Dr. A. Clark :

Projectile vomiting to physicians means literally shooting clear across the room, which only occurs with total obstruction somewhere, such as with pyloric stenosis at 6 weeks of age, not at 5 days.

Dr. A. Clark :

It is worth mentioning if she is not keeping anything down and losing weight but I can assure you this is unlikely since she was fed in the newborn nursery and this would have occurred at birth.

Customer:

She is going to a specialist tomorrow for a slight turned foot. She doesn't projectile after every feeding. actually only done that twice. She spits up usually tools out of her mouth. Her moms milk has come in and she isa good nurser so she takes in a lot.

Customer:

Ok that makes me del better. she does not shoot it across the room!

Dr. A. Clark :

Of course, all newborns lose 5-10% of their weight after birth and regain it by 2-3 weeks of age. Nursing babies lose more since it takes a few days for breast milk to come in and if she is not throwing up every feeding you need not worry.

Customer:

Great thank you so much!

Dr. A. Clark :

Of course you have to understand a pediatrician's definition of vomiting: if it lands on you it is just spit up but if it lands on us its vomiting!

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and I would not worry at all.

Customer:

:) Thank you! Have a good night!