Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

7 year old has been congested (nasal) and running fever that

7 year old has been congested (nasal) and running fever that responds to Motrin and Tylenol. This is the 5th day of fever. Strep and urine culture came back negative. Is an antibiotic called for?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 11 months ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

When the tests were taken?

How high is the fever?

Does it seem to be coming down?

How is her general well being?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

She had a negative test for strep and a negative urine culture. Fever has been as high as 102, but seems to fluctuate between normal and 100.7 - but within two hours of 100.7 it comes down with tylenol.

She is very congested/blocked in the nasal passages

She is otherwise alert, bright and focused.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for all the input.

Sorry for the delay as I was offline when you replied.

Fever, nasal congestion can be due to a few causes.

Common cause is viral.

It can last for 5 days or sometimes longer.

Though strep infection has been excluded by tests but sometimes bacterial infection can develop in post viral period.

If you feel her symptoms are getting worse, then I would suggest to take a review by doctor.

Sinusitis needs to be checked for when the noses are very congested.

Please keep her well hydrated.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service here. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

If you are not satisfied & decide to click poor or bad service, please stop for a moment & feel free to ask & continue conversation by using reply button.

This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.

Wish her healthy life.

Warm Regards.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience: 20 years of experience in treating children.