Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My baby is 7 months old and his nose is congested. I tried

My baby is 7 months old and his nose is congested. I tried to suction him perhaps a little too much and a little blood came out of his nose so I stopped suctioning (I can see the 2 cuts, it's gotten a little better since then)

He continues to be congested. What do i do? His feeding seems to be a bit down, he gets a little gagging sensation when solid foods (1st foods) goes down his throat.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 11 months ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

When did the congestion develop?

Where do you see the cuts?

How large are they?

I just noticed that you have gone offline.

I am writing the answer.

If you have any question after reading this answer, please feel free for follow up query.

It is likely that there has been trauma from suctioning.

This has caused bleeding.

Please avoid suctioning now.

Small injury will heal spontaneously.

You can use nasal saline drops.

This will help to relieve the congestion.

During congestion there can be discomfort during swallowing & appetite can be less.

During solid feed please try to give it slowly or you may dilute the feed to make it more semisolid for a few days so that he can swallow it properly.

If the congestion continues, get it checked by doctor.

Best wishes for both of you.

Regards.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is there any signs in particular I should watch out for? Also, how long before I take him to the doctor?

Answering your previous questions - the congestion developed 2 days ago, and it's gotten worse over the past 24 hours..I can hear the snorting is a little more pronounced. There is one small cut on the bottom of of one nostril and the one on the top looks a little bruise almost. This happened in the AM and no bleeding since ..I've stopped suctioning and the saline drops since it might burn him.

The symptoms seems to be due to viral illness.

You can wait another 2-3 days if his feeding, urine is within normal limit.

If he develops high fever, increased respiratory rate, refusal to feed, then you should take him to doctor asap.

During illness feeding can be less.

Try to give more liquid food than solid to prevent dehydration.

If there is cut inside the nose, then saline drop can irritate the area.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience: 17 years of experience in treating children.