Dr. Diana
Dr. Diana , Pediatrician
Experience:  I am a Pediatrician and a Neonatologist, with training completed both in Europe and US. I have been working in this field for the last 18 years.
75625871

I have a question about manicures while breastfeeding. When

I have a question about manicures while breastfeeding. When my newborn was one week old, my husband treated me to a manicure and pedicure at a salon. The nail polish on my fingernails began to chip within a day or two, so I used nail polish remover with acetone to take the polish off. I was careful to wash my hands well after after the manicure and after using the nail polish remover.

Is there any risk to my baby from the exposure to the nail polish and/or the nail polish remover?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 2 years ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

When did it occur?

Did the baby have any symptom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The manicure was done yesterday at 11:30 AM. I removed the nail polish tonight with the acetone remover. I'm not really sure what the symptoms would be? The baby is eating normally.

Expert:  Dr. Diana replied 2 years ago.

This is Dr. Diana and I will do my best to answer your question.
Thank you for using our services.
There is no risk for your baby if you washed your hands after using the acetone remover. Do not worry, your baby is fine.

Please let me know if this answered your question and if I can be of any further help.
Dr. D

Dr. Diana, Pediatrician
Experience: I am a Pediatrician and a Neonatologist, with training completed both in Europe and US. I have been working in this field for the last 18 years.
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
I would like to add that acetone is not toxic and can be handled by our system without ill effect. At times it is present in our blood, derived in metabolism.
Paint itself would be dissolved by acetone and washed away so will not likely enter your baby's mouth.
In future you may use nail paint for your girl, when she grows up too. Good luck to all.